Daddy Mommy and Seth

Daddy Mommy and Seth
Daddy Mommy and Seth

Friday, May 31, 2013

Beauty after the storm

We have all seen these words so many times. "you can't appreciate the sunshine unless you go through the rain." Or "you can't have true joy until you know true pain."
Well....I always told myself that I appreciate my blessings and yes, I see the point but I do think you can have sunshine even without storms. Until this past week, then I realized the truest meaning of this phrase.
Usually every evening Seth plays outside. We go up and down our street and play in our driveway.  This routine has become monotonous. Sometimes I feel blah about it, sometimes I take the moments to breath in fresh air and look up at the clouds. It's usually kind of refreshing.  Well the past week we didn't have this time.  Seth would scream most of the day. He was unable to play indoors. He could barely stop crying for 20 minutes before it started again.  He didn't even want to go outside, he didn't want to do anything. Not his favorite things or his routine either. Just scream, just cry.  Such a setback. It was horrible. Watching my sweet child miserable is the hardest thing in the world. Feeling so helpless and overwhelmed makes me miserable as well. 
Well, the other night he calmed down for a little while and then actually agreed to go outside! I tell you, that trip down our street with Seth...fresh air...his smile...I felt like I won the lottery! I was on cloud nine.  I've never been happier to do our "routine." 
Now I get it. I really enjoyed our "sunshine" moment after that storm. I soaked it in, I cherished each step. I was full of complete joy. Just seeing my sweet boy happy and playing, outside....magical. So maybe terrible storms do make you realize the sunshine.
I am always thankful for our good days. I'm always thankful for our health. For our family. I live being thankful. But that joy, that day...was extra joyful. Extra bright sunshine once our storm had passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment